Monday 6 July 2015

A chance to change

I was greatly encouraged this morning by a conversation with my 13 year old son. He was asking me about black holes and how we know that they are there. This lead to asking other questions about the universe. He also asked about God and had the idea that possibly God and the universe are one and the same. I explained various schools of thought, then he asked who created God. I explored the various arguments with him, from Hindu, Jewish/Muslim/Christian, Buddhism to Zen. He suggested that each religion had possibly been given a part of the universe to explore. He also came up with this idea; maybe the universe/God knows the outcome, the end of everything and we have been given the opportunity to save it. We talked about time and how we, as human beings, perceive it in one fashion, and that our view maybe unique. We explored the possibility that, like the recent double split test indicated, the future affects the past, as opposed to decisions made in the past or now affecting the future. Again he came back to the idea that the end is already known, yet we have been given the opportunity to change it.

Let me explain something; my son, Thomas, is autistic and certain concepts for him are difficult to grasp. He has no real concept of time, and explaining it to him is a real challenge. He recently said he does not believe in God. Inasmuch as it upset me, it showed me that he is capable of reaching an intelligent conclusion. (I'm not saying he is incapable; I was merely impressed by his level of reasoning.) I'd love him to believe in God. I would like him to have faith. I can't impose any idea on him and he will have to formulate his own beliefs. Yet, today's conversation encouraged me that, firstly, he is questioning his position and place in the universe and, secondly, he is trying to understand God.

It was a great conversation we had. I often long for this type of dialogue with people. I was able to present competing ideas from science, cosmology and religions. However, many of the answers to the questions presented revealed the answer, 'We don't know.' We have many ideas and form opinions, but ultimately, we do not know so much.

The one thing that impressed me so much, is Thomas's idea; the universe/God knows the outcome, the end of all things, yet we been given the opportunity to change it. This gives me hope for future generations and encouraged me today, as I sit here, in this little part of the western world, which seems to be moving away from religion, from faith, from belief in God. And I thank the Lord for this encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment