Monday 7 September 2015

Memories

I often find myself in awe of the mind's ability to recall memories. I'll hear a voice, see a picture or recall a smell from another time and place. The brain's ability to store memories is phenomenal. At will I can summon up images and conversations from long ago. I can remember my first visit to primary school, my maternal gran's laugh, my paternal grandads gentle voice and how he said certain words. I can visualize my parent's living room from early childhood, the smell of my dad's leather jacket with his aftershave, hear the singing of my mum from the kitchen as she prepares lunch; hear my sister singing along to her music in her bedroom; see my daughter when she was 3yrs old and how Tommy used to fascinated by my bald head and how he would jokingly lick it; hear my wife's laugh as I act stupid.
Sometimes these moments catch me off-guard, other times they are daydreams drifting like clouds in the sky. As you read this, you're probably recalling memories of your own family and friends. How this happens is staggering. It never ceases to amaze me at the brain/mind's ability to recall and project those moments on to a virtual screen for us to see. It's all in the mind's eye.
If the universe is like a brain or mind, maybe it stores all our memories and lives, remembers when it was in its infancy, etc. I often wonder if the stars and galaxies we see are memories of a method used to create life, like "Ah, that didn't quite work. That combination of atoms didn't bond well." Thus, we are viewing the universe's past, its mysterious memory. So are we in the mind's eye of the universe?
It would be great to know if our memories are uploaded to the universe, so we share the same mind-space and it's all stored safely, in a timeless state for eternity. If we shared the same mind, maybe there is a way of accessing the memories of the universe. And what would we see, hear, feel, smell and taste?
Now that's something to think about

No comments:

Post a Comment